Unlike Courtney who takes photos of delicious dishes before they are eaten, I only make the final determination after the bowls are clean. Therefore I do not have a photo of my latest creation. Next time I invent, I am simply going to have to follow my original instincts and get the camera out. For now the recipe will have to do. Jeff, here is another one for your cookbook.
Penne Al Cacciatore di Cervo to serve 2. This recipe could easily be doubled.
1/2 bag or 1 1/3 cups of whole wheat penne
1/2 jar of Rao's Marinara Sauce or another high quality tomato sauce without added sugar
2 small carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 medium white onion, diced
3 garlic cloves diced, saute' 1 with the broccoli rabe
1 1/2 inches of venison sausage, cubed
1/4 pound broccoli rabe, sauteed in olive oil and red pepper flakes until softened
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
EVOO
Prepare the boiling water for the pasta making sure to add salt to the water.
In a small amount of EVOO, saute' the garlic and onions until they begin to turn golden and soften. Add the carrot and saute' for another 3 minutes or so then add the cubed venison and saute' until all is well mixed. Stir in the broccoli rabe and the 1/2 jar tomato sauce. Add 1/4 cup of V8 juice (optional) and 1/4 cup of red wine. Turn to simmer, cover and let cook until the water has boiled and the pasta has cooked.
Drain the cooked pasta, return to the pasta pot and pour in the sauce. Mix very well and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
This one dish meal is excellent served with a robust red wine. We enjoyed a Sangiovese from Molise, Italy. It was bottled under the DiMajoNorante label.
In this case, I have to say "Buon Appetito" before "Good Eatin', Y'all!"
No comments:
Post a Comment