This weekend started off on a wet note thanks to Tropical Storm Hanna's visit on Saturday. The rain was desperately needed, and except for a bit of leakage around the dining room window, the fact that it poured all afternoon and evening was not a huge inconvenience. Fortunately, I was able to complete some neighborhood errands in the morning before the rains came in earnest, and the afternoon and evening were spent in quiet pursuits on the homefront. I finished one book, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, and started another, To My Dearest Friends by Patricia Volk, we watched some football and baseball on TV and just relaxed with the sections of The Sunday New York Times that arrive on Saturday.
Sunday we invited Chris Ehlgen to join us in a day at Atlantic City. We had not seen Chris since his classes leading to an LLM degree from the University of Pennsylvania had begun in earnest so we had lots of catching up to do. Chris is such a nice young man, and it is a pleasure spending time with him.
We were on the road by 9:30 AM, and our first stop was our favorite driving range in Mays Landing, Olde Masters, where I, at least, had an excellent outing. My 7th iron shot and my No. 1 driver shot are improving dramatically. We then headed to the beach at Caesar's which is the widest and nicest of them all. The waves were absolutely huge thanks to Hanna and Hurricane Ike, and the lifeguards would not let anyone out above their knees due to the ripcurrents. I could hardly stand in the water due to the pull, and I could really feel the lack of an ACL in both knees when I tried to brace myself against that pull. The water felt great, however, so there was no way I was going to stay completely out of it on such a beautiful day. The cloudless sky, the cool breeze and the excellent music coming from The Beach Bar beside the Boardwalk made for a beautiful afternoon relaxing and reading on the beach. Chris and I took a 4 mile round trip speed walk in one hour, and the combination of speed, soft sand and keeping up with his longer stride have left me with some very sore calf muscles today, but no complaints. A couple of hours in the casinos at Caesar's and Bally's plus a yummy Asian dinner at The Noodle Bar in Bally's completed our day. What a difference a day made between Saturday and Sunday!
Sunday we invited Chris Ehlgen to join us in a day at Atlantic City. We had not seen Chris since his classes leading to an LLM degree from the University of Pennsylvania had begun in earnest so we had lots of catching up to do. Chris is such a nice young man, and it is a pleasure spending time with him.
We were on the road by 9:30 AM, and our first stop was our favorite driving range in Mays Landing, Olde Masters, where I, at least, had an excellent outing. My 7th iron shot and my No. 1 driver shot are improving dramatically. We then headed to the beach at Caesar's which is the widest and nicest of them all. The waves were absolutely huge thanks to Hanna and Hurricane Ike, and the lifeguards would not let anyone out above their knees due to the ripcurrents. I could hardly stand in the water due to the pull, and I could really feel the lack of an ACL in both knees when I tried to brace myself against that pull. The water felt great, however, so there was no way I was going to stay completely out of it on such a beautiful day. The cloudless sky, the cool breeze and the excellent music coming from The Beach Bar beside the Boardwalk made for a beautiful afternoon relaxing and reading on the beach. Chris and I took a 4 mile round trip speed walk in one hour, and the combination of speed, soft sand and keeping up with his longer stride have left me with some very sore calf muscles today, but no complaints. A couple of hours in the casinos at Caesar's and Bally's plus a yummy Asian dinner at The Noodle Bar in Bally's completed our day. What a difference a day made between Saturday and Sunday!
No comments:
Post a Comment