This past weekend brought two very fun but totally diverse activities my way. To start things off, I took the train over to Camden on Friday afternoon where Kathy D. picked me up. We had fun chatting throughout the drive down to Ocean Beach, NJ for a weekend with 14 other gal pals from South Jersey Ski Club. Kathy and her sister, Marianne, graciously opened their two wonderful old school beach bungalows to our fun-loving group, and an excellent time of wine and beer drinking, laughing, and talking was had by all!
Friday night there were only a few of us, Jody K, Eileen M, Marge H, Linda S, Cathy B, Kathy D and myself, but Saturday AM brought the rest of the group and the hilarity really began.
Kathy D's bungalow was party central all weekend, and we were able to cram 8 people into this tiny bungalow with another 2 who slept on camp cots under the stars.
Saturday evening we all enjoyed a feast of Lasagne and Eggplant Parm from Lasola's Deli, a Phillies baseball victory, lots of wine and solving the world's problems around the picnic table, and just helping each other with whatever troubles anyone might have had. There is immense power when a group of 14 women gather.
Sunday morning Cathy B and I were up first and walked to WaWa for coffee and more ice. The others rose slowly and reluctantly, but when the sun comes up on a beach day, sleeping late just can't happen. I had chosen to leave early this AM to take the train to NY for a visit to Julian and Rene during the annual Art Walk that takes place on Atlantic Avenue. They have a new studio space to show off, and they wanted me to see it. Dale was supposed to meet us in NYC, but his back decided to throw him a sad curve on Saturday rendering him out of commission.
I left Bay Head at 9:20 and was in Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn after a transfer from train to subway at Penn Station by noon. I wandered a bit waiting for Julian and Rene to arrive at metaphor. A festive atmosphere prevailed for Art Walk, and people were everywhere on a very HOT day!
I had a great time catching J and R up on all of the fun family news! and helping them greet the public wandering in for the open studio event. The afternoon ended with a private cocktail party for their friends, and I was able to reconnect with many whom I had met at either the 2009 auction or the Black and While Ball.
Their new space is so beautiful, functional, large and very well built, and once they get the old gallery rented to the right kind of boutique/designer/trendy non-food establishment, the transformation will be totally complete.
After my afternoon in the artworld, I retraced my steps to the subway to Penn Station to 7th and 34th for the Bolt Bus back to Philly!
I found poor Dale in some pain with his back, but I can happily report that he is now on the mend and almost back to normal. I do think that this recent bout with his back has served as a real wake up call that there are some changes he needs to make. He is working hard to make those changes a reality. May that trend continue!!
No comments:
Post a Comment