Thursday, April 1, 2010

Exploring Philly in the Springtime

Four days of driving rain, high winds, and cool to cold temperatures came to an end yesterday morning, and with the sunshine came warm temperatures, budding trees, blooming flowers, and, for me, the desire to explore new places. Even after 6 1/2 years here, there are so many places that I have not visited, so many streets I have not strolled down, and so much left to learn.

I had never been to the top of City Hall, to see the city as only William Penn by Alexander Milne Calder, can see it, so that was my first stop. City Hall was completed in 1871, and for almost 40 years, it was the tallest occupied structure in the US. The viewing area is located just below William Penn's feet, and the visitor can enjoy 360 degree views of the city. Yesterday was so clear that I could see for miles and miles and miles.Looking toward City Hall from the Parkway just outside The Free Library. The fountains of Logan Square are in the foreground.
The view from City Hall looking northwest towards our neighborhood and beyond. Our house is just beyond the brown two steepled church just to the north of the blue roofed building in the center of the photo.
Looking due north up Broad Street towards Temple University and beyond.

Today I walked down to South Street to visit the Philadelphia Magic Garden, a museum/studio/art installation/wonder of creativity designed and built by mosaic artist Isaiah Zagar over a period of 16 years. It is absolutely amazing, and none of my pictures really do it justice at all. It simply must be seen to be believed! Every surface of two adjoining buildings plus an amazing outside garden area is covered, and it inspires awe from all who see it, particularly on sunny days like this one. It will be on my must see list for visitors from now on. For more about this one of a kind location visit www.philadelphiamagicgardens.org.




Just a small sampling of what the Magic Garden has to offer.
Several blocks north of South Street, at the corner of 7th and Pine, I found this historical marker. The institution built on this spot and still in use after all of these years provides further proof of what a visionary thinker Benjamin Franklin was.





The Pennsylvania Hospital, 1751-2010, and still going strong. Of course, there are additional modern buildings behind this one and on some of the neighboring side streets that complete the hospital complex.

Walking further up Pine toward Trader Joe's and home, I came upon this film shoot at the corner of Delancey and 21st Street, basically right across from my dentist's office.

Further sleuthing when I got home led to the discovery that the television pilot for a new show starring Jimmy Smits is being shot in town right now. I also found out that
Robert DeNiro and Bradley Cooper are set to film here this month, but they are still scouting locations so this must be the Smits show.
I stood and watched for a little while, and the scene they were shooting involved several people playing a pick-up game of basketball on the elevated patio of the house on the corner of Delancey and 21st. That house is currently on the market for $2.75 million!
My last fun discovery of the day was this wall of birdhouses. Birds were perched outside several of them when I took out my camera, but naturally they retreated inside before I could get the picture taken.
Wonder what tomorrow's wanderings will reveal?




































No comments: