Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 2 - Skiing in Jeans and SILVER in the Ladies' Super Combined

We woke up on Thursday morning February 18 to a cloudless sky and the promise that for the next 5 days bluebird skies would prevail. After the rain, snow and fog of the week before, the local weather forecasters were absolutely chortling with glee at the prospect of warm sunny days and cold, cold nights. Marty, Dale and I were equally as happy although Ken was hoping for some fresh powder skiing. Oh well :-)This viewing area is just before the new tunnel on that runs under Franz's. It is also just at the top of the start area for the Ladies' Super G and Giant Slalom. It was the first one that we found, and we think we saw either Lindsey Vonn or Julia Mancuso go by while we were standing there. The only problem with this location was the lack of slopeside commentary so we never stayed here.
My first mission was to get out of the condo and over to Summit Sports (where Ashley bought her last set of skis) to pick up two new knee braces. My old ones were in the lost luggage, and I can't ski without braces. I met the others at the Whistler Gondola and we headed up onto the slopes with the intention of watching some of the Ladies' Super Combined from the slopeside viewing areas. The only problem was that we weren't sure where they were exactly. With map in hand, we went searching down the slopes on Whistler. With Ken in the lead, our first run was down a very steep, very moguled run, and I was happy that I had small, swift and newly waxed and sharpened Volkl skis for that one! We shortly came to realize that some of the racers and their coaches were sharing the slopes with us as they headed to the start of the course. While they were not in the first group to race, it was still exciting to be sharing slopes with real Olympians! I simply could not believe that I was really in such a setting with such company and that it really was the OLYMPICS! I was ready to yodel but all I could do was sing a joyful song while flying down slopes that used to somewhat scare me but don't any longer!

With my ski pants in the lost luggage, I had no choice but to ski in jeans. I also had to wear my hat under the helmet as shade for my eyes. I won't be packing my sunglasses away again! Although I felt like a Sugar Mountain or Winterplace skier in those jeans, my zippy little skis had me looking like a champion...well, almost like one :-). I was also very thankful for the warm sunshine and lack of wind!
At the entrance to the best viewing zone on the Ladies' course. We got here just in time to see the last racers on the ultra steep and very slanted course. It is hard to imagine holding an edge on that curve! While we have skiied this run in the past, it had been somewhat reconfigured for the games with much more of a slant than before.



Dale at one of the viewing areas along a fast and rather flat portion of the course.

As soon as the last skiers completed the course, we heard over the intercom that Julia Mancuso had won the SILVER. What a way to start the day! We spent the rest of the morning skiing a bit on Whistler then headed to Rendezvous to eat lunch and watch a few events on the TV's mounted everywhere in there. Marty opted out of skiing at that point due to her stiff back so Dale, Ken and I took the new and beautiful Peak 2 Peak Gondola over to Blackcomb for some runs down 7th Heaven, Cruiser, Zig Zag and a few other old favorites in the central area of Blackcomb. With the sun still high in the sky but the lifts about to close, we skiied to the village planning to go for some apres at Merlin's but alas there was no way to get a table there or at Monk's. I decided to trade in my skis for a different pair after I realized that the shorter ones just chattered a bit too much at speed to make them ideal. I was given 149 cm Volkl Tierras that I absolutely loved. They were with me the rest of the week. We then stopped at Blackcomb Liquors to pick up some libations for back at the condo and met medal winners....

No comments: