For the 4th year in a row, we found ourselves on the banks of the Schuylkill River before the crack of dawn on the first Saturday in October. This year's edition of the South Jersey Ski Club Dragon Boat Team, now known as the "Flashing Dragons" was ready for a big day of competition, eating, drinking, socializing, partying and just having fun as part of the larger than ever Philadelphia International Dragon Boat Festival!
As team captain, I had been busy for months recruiting an amazing team, preparing for the practices, running the practices, and keeping everything and everyone organized while planning for what essentially becomes an all day tailgate party. In addition to a full team of 25 paddlers, almost 50 friends, fans, and family members were recruited to join in the fun. Team member and caterer, "Due Amici Dan" provided us with incredible breakfast and lunch buffets. Mark and Janet filled their van with beer, wine, soft drinks, tables,and chairs, and joined us in being the first to arrive at 5:20 AM. Their help with set-up was absolutely invaluable!
Our theme this year was "Mardi Gras Madness" and everyone went all out
with beads, masks, boas, capes and more to foster team spirit. We attracted lots of attention from other teams, spectators, roving photographers, and even a local radio station. I was interviewed by their reporter, which was really a lot of fun, but sadly I was not able to hear myself on the radio.
with beads, masks, boas, capes and more to foster team spirit. We attracted lots of attention from other teams, spectators, roving photographers, and even a local radio station. I was interviewed by their reporter, which was really a lot of fun, but sadly I was not able to hear myself on the radio.
Although our "Flashing Dragons" did not win a gold medal this year, they did come in 2nd in their final race after dropping time in their semi-final and then again in the final. They were a very competitive group, and it showed in their overall performance during the day.
I am VERY proud of them all!!
No comments:
Post a Comment