Sunday, March 15, 2009

Living and Wearing of the Green!

Although the sky was gray on this Philadelphia Sunday, it was not hard to find a patch of green to brighten the gloom. While Dale was at home working on our finances (trying to keep those greenbacks in our pockets in more ways than one), I spent the day in two exciting locations.

First of all, I took a speedwalk down to the Convention Center to take in the Go Green Expo, http://www.gogreenexpo.com/, an event which will be held in LA, New York and Atlanta in addition to our fair city. I picked up lots of freebies, made a few purchases and learned more about how to make my life even greener. As many of you know, the 3 R's (reduce, reuse and recycle) have been close to my heart ever since Earth Day 1970, and I have definitely put my efforts toward recycling and other forms of green living in the years since. I remain particularly proud of the recycling center that I set up in the parking lot of Bnai Israel Synagogue in High Point, NC which ultimately led to the citywide recycling effort that High Point established shortly thereafter. It is interesting and at the same time very disturbing that there is still such a need for educating people about the virtues of green living all of these years later and taking into consideration all of the press about global warming and the need to live more responsibly. It has become imperative that we all do what we can to protect the environment, and it is my hope that all of the readers of this blog will pledge to do so each and every day.


At 12:30, I left the expo and took another speedwalk westward toward the Ben Franklin Parkway and on to Eakins Oval where I staked a spot near the reviewing stand in order to get the best possible view of the 278th annual (yes, the first really was held in 1771) Philadelphia St. Patrick's Day Parade, the second oldest in the nation. One of the benefits of living in this large and historic city is the opportunity to take in parades and other special events, and this parade was one of the best. For over three hours I was entertained by adorable Irish dancers, burly pipe bands, local and regional high school bands, a couple of our own Philadelphia string bands, our famous green Phillie Phanatic, and marching groups from a multitude of Irish fraternal organizations. A real highlight was the wonderful group of teens from County Donegal, Ireland who entertained the crowd with their pipe, drum and accordion band. They were excellent! Later in the Port-a-John line, I was able to chat with some of them and their parents. They were charming and friendly, and it was clear that they were having the time of their lives participating in St. Patrick's Day celebrations throughout the Delaware Valley region. They had raised 60,000 Euro to make the trip, and it was exceeding their expectations in every way. Their only complaint was with the weather, which was precisely what they had left back home. As you can see from the photos, a light Irish mist prevailed all day.

Just one example of the Irish fraternal groups who make this parade so much fun.

He was the best of the myriad of St. Patricks.


Governor Ed Rendell doesn't miss a chance to make an appearance. Last time I saw him, he was searching for his chair on the beach in Ocean City. He looks better in a business suit than he does in a bathing suit!
Below - the girls from Donegal playing their hearts out in front of the reviewing stand.



One of the cutest of the Irish dance groups
Love those burly men in skirts playing the bagpipes! This the brigade of the Philadelphia Fire Department.

And, of course, The Phillie Phanatic!

I ended the day watching the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association Swimming and Diving Championships on TV. The commentary and filming rivaled that of the Olympics, and I am not kidding! The level of swimming proficiency in this state is amazing, and it should be noted that NC State will be the recipient of the talents of at least two of the boy's overall champions. Isn't it interesting how I just can't get that smell of chlorine completely out of my nose!

No comments: